Franklin, Aretha - Lady Soul - 1968

Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Bach...and I suppose Pink too.

Franklin, Aretha - Lady Soul - 1968

Postby Roland Bru » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:42 pm

Aretha Franklin is somewhat overweight, probably singing in Vegas if she's not marrying or divorcing or suing someone. Or she's singing "Respect" in any Blues Brothers movie. She looks like a darker skinned version of Elizabeth Taylor and ruined her reputation in, albeit in a different field of art, the same way. Why can't people quit (or die) at their peak? Well, I won't go into that, but I would like to call your attention to one of her peaks, Lady Soul. As I write this review, Jerry Wexler, the album's producer has just died. This album may be considered one of his milestones as well: the choice of songs is great, musicanship excellent, but it's definitely Aretha's voice that shines on this album.

I would not consider this a 'soul album' by the way. The songs range from gospel (People get ready), to soul (Niki Hoeky) to blues (Good to me as I am to you, Clapton guitar solo). I would call this rhythm and blues. Contains classic songs such as Chain of fools, (You make me feel like a) natural woman and Groovin' in mostly definitive versions.
Roland Bru

Return to Music