The Grateful dead – American beauty – 1970

Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Bach...and I suppose Pink too.

The Grateful dead – American beauty – 1970

Postby Roland Bru » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:55 am

1970 was a great year for the Grateful Dead. Live/Dead was considered a master piece, almost equal to Get yer yaya’s out by the Stones and Live at Leeds by the Who, and in 1970 they released to important albums: Workingman’s dead and American beauty. Both feature well written songs in what one would call alt country / Americana / rootsy style. Seemingly, the druggy jam music was gone, and in its place, well crafted songs emerged. Live it was slightly different, but yes, these albums are great. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young taught them to sing harmony (in return for Jerry Garcia playing guitar on Déjà vu).

Most of the songs rule, and many became standards of their live repertoire for years to come. Highlights include Box of rain (nice harmony singing and touching lyrics), Friend of the devil (a folk ballad), Sugar magnolia (mainly because of the promise of live versions, this version is actually quite tame), Ripple (a speeded up Friend of the devil), Brokedown palace (a slow ballad) and Truckin’ (another signature tune, never to leave the active repertoire). Attics of my life is TOO slow and Operator shows that Pig pen was a great performer, but not necessarily a great writer (although he wrote better tunes in the years he had left).
Roland Bru

Re: The Grateful dead – American beauty – 1970

Postby Duohenct » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:18 am

You are my helper I want to thank you so much for imparting to me.
Duohenct

Re: The Grateful dead – American beauty – 1970

Postby Kristinut » Thu May 03, 2018 3:27 am

I like this song very much. Before my father opened it for me. I listen to my father.
Kristinut

Return to Music