Oldfield, Mike - Tubular bells - 1973

Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Bach...and I suppose Pink too.

Oldfield, Mike - Tubular bells - 1973

Postby Roland Bru » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:22 pm

What can one say? At age 18, Mike Oldfield plays one song in two parts (two LP sides). He plays 18 different instruments. Flutes, drums and some choral work is delegated to others, including his sister Sally. This album is almost singlehandedly responsible for the launch of Virgin Records (and, by extrapolation, Virgin everything).

Is this a good, admirable performance? Yes. Is it an interesting composition that deserves praise? Yes. Is Mike Oldfield an important artist? Well, possibly. Do I listen a lot to this record? Hell no. I've owned it for more than fifteen years and I have listend to it twice completely and a few times I have listened to a part of it, which is difficult because it's just those two parts, you know?

The 20 minute song is an almost exclusive 1970s phenomenon, mainly found in 'progressive rock' circles (think Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Genesis: they all had their extravagant songs/suites). As I write this I listen again to it, for the first time in some years: Although memorable and expertly performed almost singlehandedly by Mike Oldfield, I find most of the other groups more interesting during their excesses.
Roland Bru

Return to Music