Bob Dylan – Knocked out loaded – 1986

Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Bach...and I suppose Pink too.

Bob Dylan – Knocked out loaded – 1986

Postby Roland Bru » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:57 am

I once read some where in a review of this album that mr Dylan was either knocked out or loaded when he made this album, and I tend to agree with this statement: he might be out of his Christian phase, but not out of his writer’s block (at least where quality is concerned, perhaps he should have slowed down his release schedule and be more critical of his output). But mainly, the album is ruined by the 1980’s production. A song like They killed him is unlistenable in my opinion, mainly because of the way his voice and the backing vocals sound. Drifting too far from the shore is even worse, almost as if he’s singing a bad version of the Eye of the tiger by Survivor, from some Rocky soundtrack, again with awful backing vocals. Precious memories goes to Jamaica, and reggae is something which I never liked when performed by Dylan. Brownsville girl, the long song here (11 minutes) is again ruined by the production (synthesizer, backing vocals, general sound), but is actually not a bad song. You wanna ramble and I’ve got my mind made up are simple rockers, like he played in 1965, again with a choir helping out. Does not fit… Please pass this on.
Roland Bru

Return to Music