Peter Gabriel – So – 1986

Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Bach...and I suppose Pink too.

Peter Gabriel – So – 1986

Postby Roland Bru » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:56 am

Peter Gabriel has one of the best voices in pop music. Being instantly recognizable helps, but Mark Knopfler, Phil Collins and Bob Dylan are instantly recognizable, and you would hardly call them good singers. No, like Freddie Mercury, David Bowie and a few others he is a great performer. I am very glad for him that he achieved fame and fortune with this album, because he deserves it as a person. Not so much for this album however, I think Peter Gabriel III is his best work.

Sledgehammer and Don’t give up (duet with Kate Bush) are the famous hits on the album, but Red rain and In your eyes are of equal quality. The rest however seem like vehicles for his voice, a story to tell and some bass / percussion figures to explore. Although not very noticeable at first, he was already experimenting a lot with world music; it shows mainly in the percussion and drum work. Bass work is mainly by Tony Levin, of King Crimson fame. Sophisticated lounge pop, and a safe bet for your collection, but a bit of a sell out, which is strange considering the reasons he left Genesis.
Roland Bru

Re: Peter Gabriel – So – 1986

Postby Sumonerrift » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:08 am

I like to be himself and do not want to learn it.
Sumonerrift

Re: Peter Gabriel – So – 1986

Postby Subarurang » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:55 am

I am very pleased to have the opportunity to come here.
Subarurang

Return to Music