Mike Oldfield – Crises – 1983

Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Bach...and I suppose Pink too.

Mike Oldfield – Crises – 1983

Postby Roland Bru » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:19 pm

Mike Oldfield is mostly famous for Tubular Bells in various versions over the years, and some other side long or album long instrumental epics. However, at the beginning of the 1980’s, he scored a few crossover pop hits: Moonlight shadow, Shadow on the wall and To France. The first two can be found on what used to be side 2 of this album. The album starts with the 20 minute title song. There are enough changes (or Movements) to keep you interested. In fact, some parts seem to be musical ideas that could not be made into proper songs. You know what, we’ll just put it somewhere in the suite and see how it works… And it’s probably called Crises because that’s what Mike sings around the 7 minute mark. Must be referring to his own singing. Leave those snide remarks apart and you are left with an impressive piece of music that rewards the concentrated listener, but will ultimately leave your cd player, never to return.

Moonlight shadow is modernized folk rock, partly because of Maggy Reilly’s singing. When I played drums in the past, this was a simple but great song to listen to, and actually having known it for 25 years doesn’t diminish its qualities. Shadow on the wall is the most aggressive song, and is highlighted by Roger Chapman’s vocals. You may know him from prog rock outfit Family of the 1970’s. This sets a pattern by the way: Jon Anderson (of Yes fame) sings on In high places (it sucks).
Roland Bru

Re: Mike Oldfield – Crises – 1983

Postby Taskmasx » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:38 am

I'll bring you the stories published within this. I will find you
Taskmasx

Re: Mike Oldfield – Crises – 1983

Postby Hensonbony » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:26 am

This is beyond my knowledge so that I have enough.
Hensonbony

Return to Music