Daniel Lanois - Belladonna – 2005

Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Bach...and I suppose Pink too.

Daniel Lanois - Belladonna – 2005

Postby Roland Bru » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:10 pm

Daniel Lanois is somewhat of an Eno clone (although they’ve worked together on occasions) (and Nigel Godrich would be a Lanois clone). His is mainly known as a producer and as such he is famous for adding ethereal buzzes and beeps, strange percussion effects and somewhat alienating atmospheric sound scapes to otherwise ‘normal songs’. If you take the normal songs away, you’re left with added ethereal buzzes and beeps, strange percussion effects and somewhat alienating atmospheric sound scapes, otherwise known as Daniel Lanois’ solo album Belladonna.

Funny intro, huh? Even funnier, it works and this is a great album, in fact the best Lanois album (of 4) that I own. It’s completely instrumental but with great variety, good musicianship and a new agey feel to it, even if it’s only some 36 minutes long. Its generally pensive mood leads you to, well, think. And you think positive thoughts! You may get somewhat reflective, moody even, but on the whole this is relaxing music, that could be played while doing yoga of while giving birth, to name but two activities that go well with this music. And do not forget: this is music! It is composed, it can be reproduced in concert (if anyone ever wanted), it’s not just ambient noise.

It’s hard to point out favourite tracks but Sketches, Agave, Flame top green and Panorama stand out for me as I’m writing this.
Roland Bru

Return to Music