Neil Diamond – 12 songs – 2005

Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Bach...and I suppose Pink too.

Neil Diamond – 12 songs – 2005

Postby Roland Bru » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:59 pm

Rick Rubin pulled a Johnny Cash here: take a famous singer / songwriter who seems to have become less relevant over the last ten years, have him perform some old or new songs in a simple, mostly acoustic setting, and Bam! rejuvenation, critical acceptance, major commercial and artistic success!

I must say that I was very wary of Neil Diamond. Of course, being a dinosaur in pop music must mean something, but his mostly ridiculous hairstyles over the year and a way too polished look made me suspicious. Also, his voice takes some getting used to, and in a sparse set up this comes to the fore. Imagine my surprise when I found that this is actually a very good album. The first song is too long and repetitive but from there on it’s singer / songwriter heaven. Save me a Saturday night, Delirious love (especially the version with Brian Wilson), I’m on to you (sounds like a Dylan song) and Create me are best (great sequencing, Create me follows Man of God), but, apart from the first song, all songs rule, basically

On a side note: this album is called 12 songs, but contains 14 songs (including an alternate version). Strange commercial move, reminiscent of the Ween album 12 country greats that contains 10 songs, but a better deal…
Roland Bru

Return to Music