Newman, Randy - Bad love - 1999

Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Bach...and I suppose Pink too.

Newman, Randy - Bad love - 1999

Postby Roland Bru » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Like Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, CSNY and Jackson Browne and many others, Randy Newman is an American singer / songwriter who looks beyond his own private emotions and tries to reflect on the current state of affairs around him. Some kind of journalism if you like. A big difference is Randy's background in writing film soundtracks (where I presume he makes more serious money, his albums tend to be an acquired taste). Songs can be theatrical in style (Shame), political in subject matter (The great nations of Europe), cynical in scope (I'm dead but I don't know it), but two things bind the songs together: his very distinctive voice and his great detail to arranging and playing. Because of his voice, the rather sterile nature of the extremely professional playing does not irritate. This is somewhat similar to Steely Dan where the slick professionalism of the musicians is also offset by a slightly nasal whining voice (of Donald Fagen).

Every time it rains and I miss you are lovely ballads, whereas I want everyone to like me is classic ironic Newman: "I want everyone to like me, 'cause I'm a little insecure".
Roland Bru

Return to Music